Thursday, June 09, 2011

Washington Studio School Certificate Student
Laurel Dugan: Paintings

June 2 through June 30.
 

Graduation Exhibit and Reception
Meet the artist, Laurel Dugan, June 10, 6pm-8pm. RSVP kindly appreciated:202-234-3030 or admin@washingtonstudioschool.org
Artist Statement -- Laurel Dugan
These works are authentic to the stage of life that I am living right now. They express both my artistic ideals and my daily experiences of being part of a growing family. I have always found my life as an artist and my life as a wife and mother to be two sides of the same coin. In this same way, the artworks in this series should be totally integrated -- formally and conceptually. This intersection of form and concept is a truth I try to expose in all of my work. Through color, value, rhythm, mark and direction these works express a sense of humor about life. I love to find the absurdity in the serious, the chaos in the order, and authentic beauty in unexpected places. Toys are a light-hearted vehicle for expressing the serious issues of life. They also communicate a "process of becoming". Good art comes from life lived. I never want my art to be a closed program of personal indulgence. Rather, if I achieve my goal, each work's tenor will resonate with viewers in a personal way. The work should continue to evolve in a viewer's eye long after the first glance.
Washington Studio School
2129 S Street NW
Washington, DC 20008
202.234.3030
www.washingtonstudioschool.org

No comments:

Post a Comment