Saturday, November 19, 2005

Sam Gilliam: a retrospective

I wonder why the day is gone and I have much to do. I saw the excellent Sam Gilliam Retrospective at the Corcoran Gallery of Art. I enjoyed seeing the creative stages through which Gilliam has passed. His is a very impressive and muscled abstraction. Gilliam has had museum support for much of his career. His work is proof that he is an important American painter working in abstraction today. I love the bigness of his work and the textural richness. It’s vital to see the contributions of other artists and refresh one’s own spirit.

Sam Gilliam: a retrospective marks the first full-career retrospective of Sam Gilliam and the most extensive presentation of his work to date. On view from October 15, 2005 through January 22, 2006
The Corcoran Gallery of Art
500 17th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006
Gilliam at the Corcoran Gallery of Art


www.annemarchand.com

No comments:

Post a Comment